Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Today's American Dream

Interview #1: Wanda Price (my mom)
All her life, my mother grew up forming her own idea of what the American Dream was, although she says she never thought of it that way. Very confidently, she explained to me that she knows her American Dream has been fulfilled. Most of her criteria for the Dream consisted of getting married, having one son and one daughter, being a stay-at-home mom for her children, going to school functions, and just being the ordinary mom from the suburbs. She says she lived the Dream for long enough, and things are different now. This does not discourage her, because even "the American dream" gets boring and repetitive.

Interview #2: Becky Proctor (my mother's sister)
Despite growing up in the same household environment as my mother, my aunt's idea of the American Dream took the opposite path. A natural leader, she wanted to go to school and be successful in what used to be a man's world (business), as well as start a family. My aunt still lives her American dream, as she co-owns three restaurants and has a son, a daughter, and a grandaughter.

Interview #3: Bill Price (my dad)
My father knew what he wanted his American Dream to be early on. He went to school and became a successful salesman who was well known for those successes. Soon, the perfect wife came along and he soon had an average American family to call his own; the wife, daughter, son, and dog. Today, he says he never imagined he would be doing what he is now, but sometimes dreams change with age and goals.


REFLECTION: I find it interesting that three of my close family members have such different ideas of the American Dream, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Everything a person goes through influences and shapes one's ideal life and achievements in this country. Most of us desire whatever puts us on top; whatever makes us accepted and similar to others. That in itself is a matter of opinion. My mother and aunt were exposed to mostly the same life, but came out with completely different goals for their independent lives. I believe a person will shape their American Dream to utilize one's talents as well as fulfill desires. As of now, in my youth of little experience, I completely base everything I want to become on everyone else. If growing up in poverty was considered "cool", that would be my dream. All three people that I interviewed told me that this would change as I learned some self-worth. I wonder if they were ever like me.

4 comments:

Ms. Micallef said...

Jenna - very nice work

You are able to eliminate the "older posts" limitation by chaning the number of posts allowed in Settings tab. See me.

I love your background and chosen photos. If you want to extend it further - add music and political cartoons and also we will add a photo of your cubist drawing.

Thanks.

Grade = 94 you are missing social dialogue with your group.
Ms. Mic

Anna said...

I agree with Wanda Price's idea of the American Dream. I think the dream consists of doing what makes you happy. I also agree with her statement of the American Dream getting repetitive. The fact that she feels she hac accomplished her American Dream is inspirational because not many people are confidently able to say they have.

I like that you asked two people who grew up in the same home. It is interesting that, even with the same parents, they have such a different view of the American Dream. I noticed they both feel they have accomplished their dreams, which is also interesting. I think it would be interesting if you could interview your grandmother to see what her American Dream is, in order to see if she influenced either of her daughters.

In this interview, I like how his dream deferred and he was able to adjust to the change. This shows that dreams change along with age, and it is good that your father was able to adapt, unlike Willy Loman.

Anna said...

It is interesting that their dreams are different; however, I find it rare that a husband and wife alter their dreams so they can share the same dream, unlike the Shimerdas in "My Antonia." I agree that one will "shape their American Dream to utilize one's talents as well as fulfill desires," although, I don't agree with basing everything on everyone else because everybody has their own dreams and opinions. I like how you question their experiences in youth and I think that would be a good question to ask them. For example, "were their any experiences in your childhood that helped shape, or change your American Dream?"

Anna said...

Yes I did purposely ask people with different political views. :)

I agree that my mentor was the most open-minded. Like you said, this is probably because of her age. Thank you for the reflection idea. I will take it into consideration.