Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Age of Faith: Anne Bradstreet's Poetry 2




By Night when Others Soundly Slept

By night when others soundly slept
And hath at once both ease and Rest,
My waking eyes were open kept
And so to lie I found it best.
I sought him whom my Soul did Love,
With tears I sought him earnestly.
He bow'd his ear down from Above.
In vain I did not seek or cry.
My hungry Soul he fill'd with Good;
He in his Bottle put my tears,
My smarting wounds washt in his blood,
And banisht thence my Doubts and fears.
What to my Saviour shall I give
Who freely hath done this for me?
I'll serve him here whilst I shall live

And Loue him to Eternity

Bradstreet, Anne. "Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672)". March 23, 2008. http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/Bradstreet/bradstreet.html#bynight


REFLECTION: Anne's Bradstreet's poetry reflects the importance of religion in all aspects of her life. All of her misfortunes are solved by her faithful God; everything from the burning of her house to a restless, uneasy mind during a sleepless night is resolved by the consultation of her Saviour. Bradstreet uses this poem to show how God is needed for everything in her life; He is necessary for her to live without fears and doubts. I would imagine Bradstreet would feel uncontrollable anxiety if it weren't for her trust in her Lord. Her poetry constantly reinforces how ultimately thankful she is for His presence in her life. She is dedicated to and lives to serve the one that gets her through every obstacle.

DEAR DIARY,

I lay awake on this night, and everything is quiet. The wind does not blow, the animals do not stir, and life seems frozen in stillness. It is at times such as this that the worries and doubts of living such a new life clutter my head. My only consolation is my Saviour, without whom I would not get through. When mankind is unable to take my hand and calm the restless internal seas, the Lord is there. I need not ask for His help, for He wants not my distress. There is nothing on Earth to be so thankful for as the existance of the eternal Saviour to cleanse my soul of all humanly burdens.
The Question Is...What impact did the decisions and cultures of those who began the American community have on today's modern community setting and life as we know it?: The religiousness of the Puritans, such as Anne Bradstreet, began the religions that so many of us follow today. So many aspects of life are formed around the concepts surrounding religious issues.

No comments: